|[Note Guidelines] ÇÀÌÅÒÊÀ ÔÎÒÎÃÐÀÔÀ|
|I found these purple phlox on the trail to Hamilton Mountain, in an open rocky area growing low to the ground. |
There are five different kinds of Phlox that grows in the Columbia River Gorge. They're listed on Paul Slichter's Web site:
1. Spreading Phlox Phlox diffusa: Prostrate (to 6 in. tall) wildflower, forming mats or clumps to several feet across. Flowers pink or whitish, tubular (like a trumpet), on short stems with many greenish, awl-shaped or linear leaves. Tips of petals not notched. The only phlox to form cushions in the west and middle sections of the Gorge.
2. Midget Phlox Microsteris gracilis: Flowers very small, whitish to pink, with notches in the tips of the 5 petals. Flowers often have a yellow throat. Leaves opposite, long and thin. Plant is spindly in appearance, and up to eight inches high. The only annual of the group.
3. Hood's Phlox Phlox hoodii: Prostrate, low cushion plant with tiny spine-tipped leaves and pink to white flowers. The only phlox at the east end of the Gorge to form low cushions.
4. Long-leaf Phlox Phlox longifolia: Herbaceous wildflower to 16 inches tall. Flowers pink or white, to one inch across. Petals not notched. Plants tend to form small open clusters of several stems up to 50 cm high.
5. Showy Phlox Phlox speciosa: Herbaceous wildflower to 16 inches tall. Large, one inch flowers, pink, or sometimes whitish, with a distinctive u- or v-shaped notch at the tip of each petal. Leaves linear. This phlox forms small open clusters of stems up to 50 cm high.
deblink, mayuresh, Juyona, juanit has marked this note useful
Only registered TrekNature members may rate photo notes.
|ÂÛ ÄÎËÆÍÛ ÁÛÒÜ ÇÀÐÅÃÈÑÒÐÈÐÎÂÀÍÍÛ ÄËß Ó×ÀÑÒÈß Â ÎÁÑÓÆÄÅÍÈßÕ|
nice portrait, TFS Ori
Excellent image of these colourful Phlox. The quality of your image is great, nice sharpness. Your POV is good too. Nice.
- [2007-07-17 0:48]
I love the colours and focus you've got here. It's a lovely composition Lori and very good light and clarity.
Beautiful flowers. Well done
beautiful shot of purple phlox,great pov with nice composition,
- [2007-07-17 3:33]
bellos colores y pov,
- [2007-07-17 8:16]
Lovely colours.sharpness and detail perfect.Excellent POV.
Excellent close-up work on the phlox Lori! Good DOF even with the large aperture.
Excellent shot,Great color,sharpness,and detail.